Thursday, January 22, 2009

Homemade Baby Food...not so scary!

That's right...I am making my own baby food. Many have asked if I might have lost my mind but really it's just not that hard. I've always had it in my mind that I wanted to try my hand at making my own baby food, that way I can control what goes into my girls mouths. With a little advice and helpful hints from the girls' Uncle Greg, I was reassured it would be quite easy to do. Aunt Laura and Uncle Greg got me this fantastic book for Christmas. It is a step by step guide to all you need to know about making baby food. On Sunday I made peas and froze it in ice cube trays, and on Monday they were ready to be popped out into freezer bags. My little food processor came in really handy and so did my gun for filling the ice cube trays. On Tuesday I made carrots and sweet potatoes. The sweet potato baby food comes with a funny little story. As some of you may know, I do not like sweet potatoes therefore I have never baked a sweet potato in my life. I poked them with a fork as I would any potato and popped them in the oven directly on the rack with our dinner on Tuesday night. In about 40 minutes I thought I smelled something burning and thought I had burned our dinner. When I opened the oven I noticed a little bit of the potatoes had gushed out onto the bottom of my just cleaned oven and proceeded to burn. Needless to say they were so easy to make baby food out of once I got past the baking of them. Mental note put them on a baking sheet. Later this week I will be making avocado and acorn squash.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your such a great Mommy!, but i'm not surprised! : D , when i made baby food it was: open a jar, open a box,lol... next thing we know you'll be sewing! lol.... love ya, Gramma Dawn : D