Friday, March 20, 2009

That's Just Sad...

I am (or was) a big fan of TLC's Jon & Kate Plus 8. I enjoyed tuning in weekly to see what fun adventures they were embarking on, seeing how the kids have grown or to see their spin on everyday stuff. I admit I have even read their book Multiple Blessings and I liked it. But this season has been much different...and has left a sour taste in my mouth. I understand it is their 4th season and certainly the PA couple and their adorable children have become celebrities of reality TV but I guess I just prefer the early days when Kate didn't get all dressed up for every show, the house wasn't 1.3 million dollars (and spotlessly clean...not by Kate) and when they were more relatable to the general public (oh and also when they didn't take a free trip every other episode). Don't get me wrong, I totally think they need the much bigger house for their 8 kids and the 24 acres to run and play but it's Kate's attitude that she is entitled to it. It makes me laugh when I see the episode where she berates Jon for not using a coupon and spending $50...like they don't have the money. I've read a lot of bad press about them lately including the part about the kids' Aunt Jodi and family friend Beth Carson (who practically wrote the book for Kate and hardly gets any credit) and why they are no longer on the show. It's sad to learn they were pushed away by Kate although not surprising. People are all over the new Octuplet Mom with the six other children and how she can't pay for them (I know the situation is much different and by no means do I think she has it all upstairs or do I agree with what she did) but Jon and Kate couldn't afford their 8 at first either. They seem to have relied on large donations from various companies and people such as Huggies, Gerber and Sam's Club to just name a few (they even had a website with a wish list before the six were even born) and not government assistance but they certainly are only where they are today because of TLC. Who knows how much they get per episode...I can only imagine. Plus the other appearances they make on news shows, at churches, toys and clothing advertised during their show and etc. Even with all of this I'm sure I will keep watching, after all it's the kids that keep me coming back...I never watched it for Jon or Kate....but it's just sad how fame can change what seemed to be a nice family. I only hope they are doing what truely is the best thing for their children, after all they are just that children and not a paycheck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

totaly agree. g d