Sunday, May 17, 2009

Living Green...

It seems like everyone says they are living green these days. I am trying to do my part too. We've changed our light bulbs, I only get plastic bags from the store when I need them (I use them for dirty diapers and bathroom trash cans), we have a vegetable garden, etc. I recently saw a show on TV where the couple was challenged to try some new things to be more green. They suggested using cloth diapers which I am just going to have to draw the line on that one, not only is that nasty in my book but it would also mean more laundry...so that one is a no for me. Plus with two I think I would be changing diapers constantly. They also suggested making your own household cleaners. I thought, I can do this. The participant on TV was reluctant not knowing how well the homemade cleaners would work, but in the end she loved them and gladly made the switch. I found several recipes for cleaners that I am going to try out. So far I used one and I loved it. It was an abrasive cleaner for tubs, showers, and sinks. I used it on my shower and tub and was very pleased how well it worked with a little elbow grease of course. It rinsed away completely leaving no grit behind just a sparkling tub and shower. I had the ingredients it called for and I even added lavendar essential oil for a pleasant scent. I plan on trying the creamy soft scrub, all purpose cleaner and the window cleaner soon. I'm not quite ready to give up all my harsh chemical cleaners ( i.e. toilet bowl cleaner, clorox cleanup)just yet but this is a step in the right direction for me.

So this is my challenge to you...try one or all of the recipes below and let me know what you think. What's the harm, if you don't like it you can switch back.

All-Purpose Cleaner

1/2 tsp washing soda
A dab of liquid soap
2 cups hot tap water
Combine the ingredients in a spray bottle and shake until the washing soda has dissolved. Apply and wipe off with a sponge or rag.

Tip: If you're out of washing soda, use 2 1/2 tsp of borax, instead.

Window Cleaner

1/4-1/2 tsp liquid detergent
3 tbs vinegar
2 cups water
spray bottle

Put all the ingredients into a spray bottle, shake it up a bit, and use as you would a commercial brand. The soap in this recipe is important. It cuts the wax residue from the commercial brands you might have used in the past.

Abrasive Scrubber

2 cups baking soda
1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
10-12 drops of essential oil of your choice (to offset vinegar smell)

Conbine all ingredients well. Put into large screw top jar.

Creamy Soft Scrubber

Simply pour about 1/2 cup of baking soda into a bowl, and add enough liquid detergent to make a texture like frosting. Scoop the mixture onto a sponge, and wash the surface. This is the perfect recipe for cleaning the bathtub because it rinses easily and doesn't leave grit.

Tip: Add 1 tsp of vegetable glycerin to the mixture and store in a sealed glass jar, to keep the product moist. Otherwise, just make as much as you need at a time.

Oven Cleaner

1 cup or more baking soda
water
A squirt or two of liquid detergent

Sprinkle water generously over the bottom of the oven, then cover the grime with enough baking soda that the surface it totally white. Sprinkle some more water over the top, then let the mixture set overnight.

You can easily wipe up the grease the next morning because the grime will have loosened. When you have cleaned up the worst of the mess, dab a bit of liquid detergent or soap on a sponge, and wash the remaining residue from the oven. If this recipe doesn't work for you it is probably because you didn't use enough baking soda and/or water.

Mold Killer

2 teaspoons tea tree oil
2 cups water

Combine in a spray bottle, shake to blend, and spray on problem areas. Do not rinse.

Furniture Polish

1/2 tsp oil, such as olive (or jojoba, a liquid wax)
1/4 cup vinegar or fresh lemon juice

Mix the ingredients in a glass jar. Dab a soft rag into the solution and wipe onto wood surfaces. Cover the glass jar and store indefinitely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They all sound like great ideas : D Thanks : D Baking soda and vinegar have been long time cleaners, their great. remember to never put bleach and vinegar together, the fumes will literaly knock you out !!, i learned that the hard way : D Here's some of my favorites, newspaper wiping windows leaves them no streak sparkling clean, they say it's because of the ink. I use to brush my teeth every so often with baking soda, salt{scrubs) and lemon juice{bleaches), wow,works great, don't scrub too hard as not to harm gums, : D Swirl ice in your coffee pot when washing. Cook water and egg shells (my Grandma's idea: D ) in coffee pot a few minutes freshens the pot. Oven, i put a small bowl of vinegar on oven rack, cook 1/2 hour, turn off, let cool, all inside wipes off so easy, smells a few minutes but disappears fast. "Clorox" expense is not necessary, bleach is bleach is bleach, it's all the same, save on store brands. There's nothing like bleach, cleans, whitens, disinfects ,: D ice removes gum : D I've refered to my tiny dictionary, my Dr. Spock book and my "Heloise" Household hints for many!! years, it's great full of natural tricks : D by the way, i just looked up Heloise on the web, there's my book!! : D and f y i Heloise was an identical twin!! lol... "Canfor Ice" is a tiny tube of hard vasoline and canfor, about 4" tall, very old, use to come in metal cylindar, now plastic, was less than a dollar, ask pharmasist if it's not on the shelves, {f y i ,you can buy many things from your pharmasist, like pure lanolyn, that you won't find on the shelves), you coat hands with the canfor ice, put a pair of clean white sox on your hands and sleep in them all night, heals, softens, amazing : D{oh, by the way, pharmisists are great for many questions, they know more than doctors !!}} "Pretty Feet" now called Pretty feet and Hands is so old but it's awsome, back when it was less than $2 , today about $6 , it's a white lotion, you rub on and keep rubbing, all the dead skin rubs off, leaving your skin soft as a babies butt and prettier. .. A safe way to get rid of roaches, sprinkle "Mule Team Borax" laundry soap in hidden places. works! Fire ants on your lawn, put Tide laundry soap powder on the hill : D. Wasp and bee stings, mud!! gets the stinger out as it dries!! Mycolog (perscription needed) for dyper rash, it's the very best. Water takes MOST stains out, always try it first. More very favorites, neosporin, crazy glue, aloe plant for cooling, scar preventing, and healing burns,but always ice on burns first, not butter!! Vasoline to remove eye make-up. One of my rules, if it ain't broke don't fix it. : D There's lots of green ways to save and do things ... but my favorite solution for most any thing!! Look it up on Google!! If you get any new solutions i'd love to hear about them : D G.D.

Melissa--KunceKrafts said...

Very informative thanks!! I do have to say I was all about using the cloth diapers but after a week or so I threw in the towel lol!!!