Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Green Cleaning...

If you remember this post about living green then you will remember my pledge to try out several green solutions to my cleaning products. I wanted to try out several homemade recipes for cleaning products. I've tried the Abrasive Scrubber for my shower & tub, the Window Cleaner for my mirrors and windows, and the All Purpose Cleaner for my kitchen counters, sink, etc. I really like them all and will continue to use them in my cleaning regimen. The Window Cleaner is awesome! I used it on the mirrors in the bathrooms and on my always dirty sliding glass door. I liked this cleaner so much I don't think I'll ever go back to Windex or any other similar product. I had no filmy residue or streaks at all. Better yet the recipe probably cost pennies to make and all the ingredients I already had in my house! The only downfall I found was the vinegar smell but that faded in about an hour or so. The All Purpose Cleaner is nice too. It cut through the food messes in my kitchen and worked well on my stainless sink too. The recipe called for Borax which I have to admit I never bought before. While reading the box of Borax I discovered many other common household uses for this natural cleaner. I think this will be a new staple in my house. It's natural, gentle enough for baby clothes and fine china and is a natural deodorizer. Another bonus the box only cost $3.99 at Wal-Mart.

Try out my recipes here and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I read this completely before, but I'm curious about Borax now. I have never used it either. I looked online just now at http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/ and I think I might have to try it especially in the bathroom shower. It says it is good for soap scum and does have any chemical fumes to breathe in. I hate that about cleaners. The website also said that you can use it to preserve flowers. Interesting. Thanks for sharing.