Thursday, July 17, 2008

Third Trimester Blues

This week has definitely been a tough one as far as my pregnancy has gone. Friday Joe and I went to what we thought would be a pretty routine doctor's visit, and oh how I was wrong. Our smaller baby, Chloe, was showing signs of distress which prompted my doctor to put me on bed rest. Hard words to fathom when you are used to working, currently four days a week, doing tons around the house and etc. This past weekend was hard for me. Just letting the news sink in and the reality of it. My parents were returning from their vacation in NC, so they stayed with us on Saturday evening and left Sunday afternoon. It was nice to have some company with the recent news.

Just as I was getting used to the idea of being at home all day long (sounds like great fun but take my word it's not), Monday sent me on a trip to the hospital. The babies were fine, it was a "mommy-to-be" issue. I woke up Monday morning at 2am unable to sleep due to much discomfort in my chest. By 5:30am I was unable to sit or lay in one place for more than about 15 minutes, and by 7am the pain was just about unbearable and Joe took me to the hospital. Once I was admitted to Labor and Delivery, they hooked up the fetal monitors and determined I was not having any contractions and the twins were just fine. It was later determined I had a GI issue of some kind (either I ate something bad or severe heartburn....acid blocking up into my esophagus). An IV and two medications later I was feeling well enough to let them wheel me upstairs to visit the ultrasound doctors, I had an appointment with them that morning anyways. All was well with the girls...Chloe was no longer showing signs of distress! This made it all worth while, the bed rest I mean. I was discharged from the hospital about 1:00pm and we arrived home around 1:30pm. I promptly went straight to bed and slept until around 5:30pm waking up feeling better, but still not great.

Tuesday was uneventful, until around 8:30pm....the chest pain was creeping back. I immediately took a Zantac per my doctor and prayed the pain would go away. I slept on and off through the night having a lot of upper back discomfort and minor chest pain. Wednesday morning back to the doctors for the 2nd of my 3 times a week appointments. The twins were still looking great. The bed rest is really doing it's job. Now if they could just make my chest and back stop hurting. Picture constant upper back pain no matter how you sit or lay and every time you breath, chest pain. Definitely not anything like Monday's experience but still miserable. One of the joys of being pregnant is severe heartburn. As the stomach acid backs up into the esophagus it irritates the lining creating the burning sensation. Luckily the Zantac seems to keep the pain at a reasonable level.

So far today has been pretty good. Chest pain seems to be gone for now and minimal back pain too. I even seem to have a bit of my appetite back. I had been forcing myself to eat the past three days but today I enjoyed my breakfast. Hoping this will last at least over the weekend. My sisters are throwing me a baby shower on Saturday (the beginning of my 30th week) which I am super excited about and I want to be able to fully enjoy it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! So sorry to hear about your past week.
I hope you will feel better for Sat. I know your sisters are really excited to throw it for you!

I had some kind of reflux that felt like a tortilla ripping down my throat all the time! Now, that was pleasant!!!