Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hiccups

While some people seem to been prone to having hiccups from time to time, I have never been one one these people. I guess I am different but I usually only get a hiccup. Yes, one loud hiccup and I am done. I know it sounds strange, but that's just me. On the other hand, my twins living inside me get them all the time. The first time I noticed this was a few weeks back during an ultrasound. I could feel this little constant thump but I didn't put two and two together until the ultrasound tech. said Baby A (Abigail) has the hiccups. It was cute and fun to feel the movement and see it on the screen. Baby B (Chloe-our little twin) had not had the hiccups, but on Monday she got them! I was hooked up to the fetal heart rate monitor where they were monitoring both babies heart rates and testing for stress (they call it NST-non stress test); I have this done three times a week with the ultrasound. This time I was actually down in Labor and Delivery where I had been admitted for the afternoon for additional monitoring; Chloe was not behaving during my Monday morning appointment and the doctor was concerned (she's fine...just better safe than sorry). I was listening to Chloe's heartbeat because she is the hardest to find and keep on, when all of a sudden I heard another constant thump that wasn't her heart beat. After I inquired I was told it was Chloe having the hiccups. I was pretty excited about this. It felt like a little milestone had been met, since her sister has been doing it for a couple of weeks. After some research it was fun to find out that some scientists believe the brain releases a growth hormone when the baby hiccups, while others believe the baby is strengthening their diaphragm in preparation for breathing. With either theory, it meant that our smaller twin was growing! Sometimes it happens several times a day and sometimes not at all but I just love feeling the little thump, thump, thump of them getting the hiccups.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious and adorable at the same time! Can't wait to meet the girls in person :o)